gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
58085 Posts in 3507 Topics by 324 Members - Latest Member: 98TJwrangler July 24, 2014, 12:42:22 PM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Media | Login | Register | CONTACT US | New Posts | gfx
gfx
Offroad Alliance - Eastern 4x4 tech, rock crawling, & trail riding  |  Technical  |  General Tech  |  3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3.4 swap in my 89 toyota  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards Superlift - 1 trip PLO
    • Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »
aight well my 3.0 let me down back in july and ive had a wrecked 96 4runner with a 3.4 that i been wantin to swap in for a while even before my 3.0 died... ive finally got the time and space in my shop to get the engine swap done. this is a pretty involved process because of the EFI wiring and everything.

89 toyota pickup with a 3.0 and 5 speed

96 4runner sr5 with the 3.4 and automatic

and now the teardown begins...

startin to hack the roof off

next is a few pictures as we pulled the motor out of the 4runner

and now finally got the motor pulled out.. bellhousing bolts really suck badly and them jap vehicle builders really have small hands... lol

3.4 liter engine ready to find a new home

next up is buying the parts i need to put the engine into my truck and get it running and getting the engine pulled out of my truck... stay tuned for the details yall

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »
aight well got time today to pull the engine out of my truck. had to pressure wash it before i could pull it. still didnt get it clean enough and had to re clean it after i got the engine out of it...

and started to pull the engine out.

man thats alot of vac lines in one tiny spot

almost out.

this is what i think of the 3.0

ahh empty engine bay... time to re clean.

now its time to buy the cluch parts and other stuff to get the engine put back in there. stay tuned

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:05 PM »
aight so i got both engines set on engine stands so i can swap over all the parts needed to put the 3.4 in my truck.

3.4 front view

3.0 front view

3.4 rear view

3.0 rear view

3.0 oil pickup tube and windage tray.

3.4 oil pickup tube and windage tray

now thats some main caps there. haha

dont forget to swap this over onto the 3.4 engine.. lower braces for the 5 speed trans

aight im bout to finish swapping the oil pans over and get the AC compressor swapped over. gonna pick up the clutch about 3 this afternoon and try to get this engine stabbed by dark:30... stay tuned

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
 i got even more work done after i posted that. got the engine mounts swapped over. the AC stuff swapped over. the oil pan finished swapping over and the exhaust fabbed up.

first of all. dont forget to swap the oil pressure sensor over from the 3.0 onto the 3.4.

my buddy scott helping cut the flanges off the exhaust to fab it up to dump out the left side instead of the right side.

cut the flang off and left the weld in place to see how deep the pipe needs to be when it gets welded back together.

ground as much of this pipe as i could because the other pipe is too close.. so i hit on it with a hammer till the rest of the weld broke.

test fitting the exhaust to see where i need to cut.

made 2 cuts and now test fitting to see where it lines up. gonna need a short spacer pipe to fit it together.

got it all tacked together. i tucked the flange up as close to the engine as i could. hopefully it will clear the frame and everything

spacer tacked in place.

tomorrow im gonna finish welding the exhaust. then gonna install the clutch and get the engine set in there... next up... wiring... :eek

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »
man i just love people that work behind parts store counters. they seem to always get the right part. NOT... so today is christmas day and since my family basically had christmas early to spend time with my younger brother who is in from combat in iraq and stuff.. this weekend was gonna be the weekend i drop the 3.4 in the truck and hopefully get it close to running. well its looking more and more grim. the throwout bearing that i got from the parts store is not the right one so right now the project is dead in the water till tomorrow. oh well. here is what i got done today.

got the exhaust finish welded up.

turns out that i didnt have the right bolts to bolt the flywheel onto the 3.4 i had the fly wheel bolts out of the 3.0 that was too long to work and the flexplate bolts from the 3.4 that was too short. so we just cut the longer bolts to fit. "DISCLAIMER" i dont advise anyone else to do this to their truck. but i feel that it will work right and thats what i did in a crunch.

measure propper length. screw on a nut to the right length.. cut excess off and then screw the bolt off.. then grind the edges to fit

longer bolt is the 3.0 flywheel bolt.. short one is after we cut it.

rotated the high pressure line to point off the right side and moved the low pressure line while the engine was out of the truck.

and this is how the truck is sitting right now.. engine is ready to go in. ill try to get the right throwout bearing tomorrow and get this engine set in the truck.

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:36:31 PM »
okay so i called a few parts stores about the throwout bearing. and the only one that could tell me any info was napa. i had them cross reference the throwout bearing that i got the other day and it is supposed to be the one for my application. so i went back out to put it on and make it work. i took some pictures to compare it and see.

the dirty one is the one i pulled out of the trans. it looks different but i guess its a new version or something

then i started putting the engine in the truck. had to get some help to get it stabbed. man its a really tight fit in there.

almost in. had to pull it back out and make sure i had the clutch centered. it didnt wanna go in place at first.

looks like ill need to cut a hole in the hood and build a cowl hood scoop. id rather do that than put a body lift on the truck.

fits like a glove.

its really cold outside as of right now so ill try to start on the wiring and other things this week and this next weekend.. i hope i can get this thing running soon.

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »
aight so i dove into the wiring on this truck... its a pretty big undertaking to graft a 96 auto ECM to a 89 truck with a 5 speed. but its coming along slowly.

an afternoon of tracing wires on a computer screen to the wires on the harness... what a headache

the mechanical part of this swap happens fast... the wiring... not so fast... haha... but im still moving along on it.

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »
guess i can update and say i have all the mechanical parts done. been workin like crazy trying to figure out the wiring on this truck.

a couple pictures of the crossover down pipe and how close it fits inbetween the frame and trans.

this really helped out the wiring situation an actual toyota wiring book...

im gonna get the wiring put together soon and hopefully fire this truck up. its just being annoying right now:@

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »
ha just a short update. i was runnin around after work getting all the stuff i needed to put this truck together finally and picked up a cool part.

:hyper:WRF battery holder. looks pretty cool

THANKS CHRIS for taking time away from building that badass KOH rig to cut out my battery box haha

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »
aight i said screw the wiring for right now and get the mechanical stuff done. it took me a couple days to get it done but now its finished and back to the wiring.

engine bay shots. like the parts store special intake?

lower radiator hose i used.

:eek: dang i gotta cut a big hole in the hood. or put in a body lift. i donno what im gonna do now

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »
IT LIVES IT LIVES woooooohooo:hyper:

so i finally got some time to finish tracing out the wiring harness and temporarily putting it together. went out and hooked it up to the ECM truck harness and engine harness and then hooked up the battery cables. said well its either gonna crank go click or blow up but its go time. sat in the seat, closed my eyes and turned the key... VVVRRRROOOMMM.... i forgot to re plug in the mass air flow sensor so it took me a couple times of cranking the truck to remember that. but once i plugged it in i re cranked it and it ran great. let it get up to operating temps and everything checked out great. its got a check engine light but thats to be expected, cause of the auto trans signals not being met and the fact that i didnt hook up any of the emmision crap. i took the harness back out of the truck and now im soldering up all the connections and then gonna put it all back together and take it for a test drive. then i get to cut a hole in my hood WOOHOO
OH btw this is what it looked like under the dash of my truck as i cranked it up.

now you see why i thought it might just blow up haha

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
hmm well im gonna try to finish this post without wigging out about my raggedy toyota heh.

okay so i finished soldering up every wire and then taped the harness up and got it ready to go back together.

then i fought for about 40 minutes trying to figure out how to bolt the 3.4 ECM into the truck kick panel. finally got 1 bracket and bolt that would line up about right and point the ECM in the right direction.

at this point i was like HMMM i better make sure i didnt do something wrong before i go any farther with putting it back together. so i sat down pressed the clutch and turned the switch. the truck cranked right up like it has been doing. let it run for a few minutes and then turned the key switch off... and the DANG ENGINE KEPT RUNNING... the dash lights shut off and everything but the engine was still running.. i switched the key back on and back off... nothing.

so now i figure i got something wired up wrong and only found it out after bolting the ECM up and therfore grounding it. so now im back to square 1 again... joy

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:08:31 PM »
aight so i had an electrical problem yesterday when i tried to get the truck ready to test drive. i could crank the truck up. but when i went to turn it off.. it stayed running. i freaked out and snatched the harness apart and started tracing wires to see what i did wrong. well it seems that i fat fingered the COR relay plug and shorted it out. replaced the relay and it cranks and shuts off with the key now. so i put the truck back together and got ready to test drive it. i think i gotta find out a new place to fit the ECM because it dont fit behind the kick panel the way its supposed to fit. i donno what i did wrong haha.

gettin gas in it for the first time since july. so far so good

after about 20 minutes of driving it. i havent done the tach mod yet. but im going to because it annoys me not knowing what the RPMs are

the truck ran strong. very strong compared to the old 3.0... i mean it lit the tires up in 1st gear once i decided to see what it would do. im really pleased with the power increase. now i just hope the fuel mileage will be better and the truck will be more reliable. i got a few things to finish on the truck like cutting the hood and putting a hood scoop on it and making sure all the wiring is right on it. then next up is gathering up the parts for the SAS and stuff.:hyper:

Offline Sheepdawg

• Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
aight so i got some time today and decided to take a grinder to the hood of my toyota. i bolted the hood to the truck and then tried to shut it. then pushed the top of the hood to find the spots where the engine was touchin the hood... then peeked in the crack between the hood and grill to see where it was touchin...

actually the the visual hight of the engine stickin up so high must have been an illusion.. thats good

first cut.

2nd cut. the trottle body bracket and vac lines was touchin.. so i had to clearance it.

so im gonna drive it like this for a lil while till i can figure out what kinda hood scoop to run

done put 250 miles on it so far.. runs like a champ... changed the oil to make sure everything was good. now its on a regular oil change schedule. woohoo

Offline Ghost

• Craigslist HO
  • Super Moderator
  • I'm not that good, just VERY lucky most days.
  • Awards Sicily Island - 3 trips Superlift - 5 trips Mud Gods Gardendale Web Wheeler PLO
    • Awards
3.4 swap in my 89 toyota
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »
Homegrown  :thumbsup:
iCrawl

Offroad Alliance - Eastern 4x4 tech, rock crawling, & trail riding  |  Technical  |  General Tech  |  3.4 swap in my 89 toyota

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.5 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx